[dundee] Laptop without the obvious TAX

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:31:21 UTC 2009

2009/8/7 Mark <burtiebob at yahoo.com>

> Thanks for the feedback, I looked at the Dell option knowing they did sell
> a Ubuntu laptop - unfortunately the only option is the 10" netbook (although
> others are available on the US site).
>
> Anyone want a Windows 7 license???

I don't know a lot about laptops but I do remember reading an article some
time ago where a person bought a laptop with a good discount that negated
the Window tax and he wiped the hard disk and installed Linux. About six
months later (something like that) a hardware problem developed and when he
took it back the computer supplier said that the warranty was now invalid
because Windows was not present on the machine which was part of the
warranty conditions. I should have looked up the database on the website
because I think this situation was discussed before in previous posts,
whether this just applies to particular companies I do not know. Maybe
somebody else that has a bit more knowledge on this topic can clarify things
a bit to everyone.