[dundee] Those pesky KDE devs...just a moan

Sean McRobbie lug at seany.us
Thu Dec 10 22:31:59 UTC 2009

Hello,

He is running Debian + Gnome, does a lot of development for Xen + various other projects.

The problem seem to lie a lot with hungry applications.

I don't know about most people, but even just firefox (perhaps the overuse of ajax and flash are to blame? I run noscript, ABP etc which don't seem to cure this much) and thunderbird loaded use a good portion of my RAM. When my machine starts swapping it crawls because of LUKS on my entire drive.

Add to that rubbish like Akonadi and Nepomuk then you have serious performance issues (Nepomuk thrashed my disk so much the machine was unusable a lot of the time).

Not to mention Eclipse + Apache + etc running turns it even more to hell.

At the minute the Windows 7 kernel appears to be on par with Linux. The UI is certainly not the best for power users however on the plus side it doesn't have any extra bloat added after the initial release - there is nothing worse than running a few updates to find something like Akonadi installed/required or suddenly having KMS enabled wasting hours upon hours trying to stop xorg crashing.

I really like KDE4, but much like Robert I do not want some silly rubbish installed because the controlling 1% (figure pulled out of thin air) of the community thought it'd be useful to them.

I want something minimal yet functional, easy to use and most importantly setup and forget: I have work to do. Perhaps its time I switch to Ubuntu................

Regards,
Sean McRobbie