[dundee] Instant hotspot Idea

Marcel Hecko marcel at shmu.org.uk
Fri Dec 11 00:16:25 UTC 2009

I have a dream.
A dream about instant captive portal solution. The deployment would only
require the network admin to change the DNS settings for LAN users.
The idea flows in my head approximately like this:

USER requests foo.com
DNS responds with IP for pong.com
pong.com is a (Squid) proxy which downloads foo.coms index.html
proxy adds a link for css stylesheet file located on pong.com server to
index.html page from foo.com
the changed index.html is served to USER
USER requests css file from pong.css server - creates HTTP GET request
if (HTTP request for style.css on pong.com includes users cookies) {
  the style.css is a blank file
  } else {
  the stylesheet is designed the way to render the foo.com index page
unreadable and displays notice on how to register on pong.com
}
the registration would set proper cookie in users browser for pong.com domain

Of course, style.css can easily be changed to any other element of the
page - such as IMG , but stylesheet would serve quite well.

Now, is there any DNS/HTTP/COOKIE expert who can tell me whether this is
actually technically possible to do? I believe it is and I also think that
I have never seen such a service in practice.

I am finishing this mail with one of my mottos:
"Life is to short to keep secrets"

Marcel

please reply to
marcel at shmu.org.uk

Marcel Hecko
Connected SHMU Project Manager
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 487174

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live at www.shmufm.net

This message is not intended to have contractual effect