[dundee] Website Meeting

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 16:31:45 UTC 2009

2009/1/25 Nicholas Walker <tel0seh at googlemail.com>:
> Speaking of involvement with discussions, what about an IRC channel?

See the signature that gets appended to every Tay-LUG email :-)

Returning to the wiki theme here is a LUG using a wiki:

http://wiki.clug.org.za/wiki/Main_Page

Google searches will doubtless turn up better examples.  I personally
think their front page layout could be substantially (but easily)
improved, by shifting the emphasis of certain areas...  Also it could
easily be themed better.  I'd hope we could do better, but I think
it's a reasonable example of this approach.

One thing that you should probably consider is what you want out of
the site.  What requirements are important?  What do people think are
good examples of community sites?

I don't think we need anything complicated, here's my take:

1) Simple pages of instructions on meeting times, upcoming events,
map/directions, and contact details.  Possibly with a link to an
eventful or upcoming feed.

2) Links to direct new members to join the mailing list.

3) Pages for slides from talks, with optional comments by attendees,
and associated resources.

4) Technical support/pages, configuration snippets, tutorials...

5) A page about the active members, perhaps with links to personal
pages for those wanting them.

Is there much else??

R.