[dundee] Text editor decision question

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 09:15:57 UTC 2009

2009/7/1 Kris Davidson <davidson.kris at gmail.com>:
> Okay seems I've fallen prey to my own annoyance and not read all of
> Ricks e-mail (I thought it was a repost of the first one you sent
> mentioning Org mode) and blindly replied, much of what you mention is
> what I liked the look of.
>
> I heard mention on some blog somewhere that daemon mode messes with
> colour schemes, any truth to that?

Yes, I think this is an issue currently, though it looks like it can
be resolved:

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/03/color-theming.html

I've not personally made the leap to run Emacs in daemon (detached)
mode, though I intend to do this when I get time.  Instead I run my
primary (windowed) Emacs session as an emacs-server, and use
emacs-client (aliased to ec) to connect to it.  This isn't quite the
same, as the file opens in your servers emacs frame rather than the
terminal emacsclient was launched from but it does largely fulfill the
same use-case.  There are no problems with font-locking in this setup.

To do this simply include the following snippet in your .emacs:

;; only start the Emacs Server if we're not in a terminal.
(if window-system
    (server-start))

and run emacsclient from your tty...  Be sure to also checkout the
options to emacsclient, e.g. -n etc...

> I've been having a similar crisis with Git vs Bazaar, but after trying
> Bazaar and having a few issues I'll give Git a try.

Bazaar was the first distributed-scm I tried, but I quickly moved to
git (not due to any significant flaws in bzr), I was just more
impressed with gits blazing fast speed, and overall design... Oh, and
the majority of OSS projects I interact with also adopted git, so it
made sense there too.  I am incredibly happy with git, and have no
reason to look at any other scm.  It is an awesome tool!

R.