[dundee] New TayLUG website

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 1 09:59:22 UTC 2009

The new TayLUG website is now up on my home server, A TayLUG member has
kindly offered to host the site on one of his company's servers. This will
be better in the long term and an Industrial-type server is better then a
home server. It is envisaged that this will happen within the next two
weeks, in the meantime I have a test version (similar to the final version)
up and running within a virtual machine on my CentOS 5.3 server. Due to it
being a test version (called it TayLUG preview) accounts can't be created.
When the changeover to the other server has been completed and everything
tested satisfactory I will email the list with details for accounts etc. To
give people some technical info on the site.

 Wiki:

I am using Mediawiki which is PHP based with a MySQL backend.

 Mail Archives:

All the mail archives from 2002 until June 2009 has been archived. The
Lurker database has a strong search engine giving a knowledge base to the
TayLUG.

 TayLUG Blog:

This for any TayLUG member to blog on what they want (within common sense &
good taste) especially where it is not pertinent to post on the list.

 TayLUG Cloud:

This is a demonstration to show how Linux can be used in cloud computing
with a small footprint. Two public accounts has been created, I have created
an extra 3 for TayLUG members to have a look. These are the usernames and
passwords for the accounts, (3) guest3, pass3 (4) guest4, pass4 (5) guest5,
pass5

These accounts are only 20 MB in size, enough for demonstration purposes.

 About FOSS:

This is for new users, I have only one video up at the moment, more can be
added later, it is just using embedded links to youtube etc.

 Here is the url of the new website:

www.dundeelug.org.uk

notice there is only a dot difference from the old site.

 p.s. I had a router that was really giving me hassle regarding port
forwarding and the website access for the Wan interface, fortunately I
remembered that I had a spare Linksys WRT54G so I put on the open source
“Tomato” firmware and used this. I am really impressed with Tomato as it is
so easy to use. Because I changed the router yesterday, the external IP
address was changed so I had to make an update to the DNS nameservers.
Sometimes it can take a couple of days for all the root name servers in the
different regions to register the new IP. If you do a dig command on the
website url it should give you an IP Address of 94.168.152.125, if it
doesn't then the DNS nameserver in your region has not yet been updated and
you might have to wait a day or two.