[dundee] Android Adventures - and old machines!

lug at seany.us lug at seany.us
Mon Jul 6 13:26:28 UTC 2009

----- "Lee Hughes" <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

I have been wanting to try android for a while so I will give this a go when I have some spare time for sure!

However it is my understanding that current Android phones on the market force you to submit to Google rather than Apple, which doesn't really solve the problem of Apple saying what you can and can't do.

I cannot confirm these points so some of them may be true, some of them might not. But they are things I have heard that have put me off Android:

- First off tried to get a demo of the G1 in store only to meet "Sorry, requires you to register the phone to your Google account before you can use the device. For me that is just a big no-no, I want to be in control of my personal information, not Google.

- You do not have the ultimate say in what you can and can't do. Should you wish to "play" with your phone, you will need to so via means of an exploit, which are most likely patched over the air quickly. Not to mention doing this most likely is a breach of contract on your part...

- You need to buy a developers version of the G1 to officially develop apps / run your own code.

Doesn't sound too open afterall, does it?

With that said, As soon as Wifi drivers etc. work on the Android port for a spare WM device I have, I'll give it a try! Until then I'll be using hacked apart cooked ROMs for WM... as closed as it is you get more control... for now!

If anyone can convince me that Android is not just another way for Google to dominate the planet "all your data are belong to us", please let me know! It's scary enough that Google Latitude can already broadcast my location within about 6 metres to the public using the built in GPS on phones should you dare to enable the feature.