[dundee] Tiling Window Managers.... XMonad anyone?

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 09:29:00 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com>:

> 2009/7/6 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com>
>>
>> The one I've finally got around to trying is xmonad.  And so far I'm
>> very impressed (its multi-head support is great), however I haven't
>> yet got around to configuring it.
>>
>> - http://www.xmonad.org/
>>
>> Before I get well and truly stuck in I was wondering if anyone on this
>> list runs xmonad and has any tips on configuration or contributed
>> xmonad packages I might like to look at?
>>
>> R.
>
> I know nothing about it, other than it's written in Haskell, my favourite
> language of the moment, so I'm going to give it a try too.

Yeah, Haskell's cool...  And I think it's next on my list of languages
to learn, right after my current favourite Clojure:

http://clojure.org/

Despite not knowing Haskell, I was able to intuit enough to get a
reasonable config going last night as my starter-for-ten.  XMonad is
pretty awesome, and having a compiled config file's pretty handy for
the warnings you get when you screw up the syntax.  Oh, and the other
impressive thing about xmonad is the documentation is about 10x better
than for any of the window managers I've looked at (though it could
still be better).

The next thing I want to look at is how to get a wmii style stacking
window layout - where you have one window open/maximized and the rest
shaded in a stack...  I've managed to get the windows stacking but I'm
not sure if the shading thing is possible yet.

After that I want to start tagging windows and returning to a task
oriented desktop.

Good to know there are some other Functional Programmers on here...
Have you used any other functional languages?

R.