[dundee] Invitation to join the Dundee Google Wave 101 Group

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 08:56:13 UTC 2009

Hi all,

If you've not yet heard about Google Wave, then the best explanation
is probably the developer preview of Google Wave; recently announced
at Google I/O: http://wave.google.com/

So what's so exciting about Wave?

Well, it's an open protocol, built on top of Jabber/XMPP and tightly
integrated with the web that intelligently unifies a number of communication
styles.  Wave fuses both realtime instant messaging capabilities with
a delayed, less interactive e-mail style of communication (for when
participants are off-line) with the notion of a structured shared
conversation; similar perhaps to a wiki.

So this group is for people in or around Dundee who are interested in
wave and the future Internet it will support.  Knowledge of wave is currently
limited primarily to the protocol specs and a handful of API's...
(Google will soon open source a reference implementation for their
wave server and client.).  This group hopes to improve our collective
understanding of wave, by providing community support.  We intend to
organise a meeting in Dundee as soon as possible to give participants
of this group a chance to discuss Wave in person.

If there are any people interested in wave development in or around
Dundee, Scotland, then we invite you to join our Google Group:

Dundee Google Wave 101

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/dundee-google-wave-101

We are a group of wave converts, who believe it to be a massively
disruptive technology.

We hope to support those locally who are interested in wave
development, it's vision and potential impact on society.  We are
planning some face-to-face meetings soon specifically on wave which I
will announce here.

Though we're principally focused on Dundee/Scotland, don't let your
latitude and longitude stop you from joining in and sharing your thoughts
about Google Wave with us on the Wave 101 group!

Cheers,

R.