[dundee] Dundee Geek Down!

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 23:35:24 UTC 2009

Okay, here's the Geek Down!

As many of you will be aware, I've been involved in an initiative to
start a meta-group for those in and around Dundee.

The reason, because there is way more going on in the Dundee
technology scene than any of us were aware!

Don't believe me?  Well did you know about Bert Wednesdays, Girl Geek
Dinners, Thurst First, or NeON?  Me neither, until recently!  Geek
Down's mission is to help connect people quicker, and provide greater
exposure to the vibrant geek communities we have in and around Dundee.

So Geek Down is still largely in its inception, but the idea is to
complement the existing groups by providing a meta-community and forum
for people to engage with a broader community, incorporating
tinkerers, hackers, makers and people involved in web design, Free and
Open Source Software, Software Development, Electronics, Hardware
Hacking... basically anything cool and geeky.

We had our first meeting on Thursday which was well attended by about
10 people interested in making this happen.  We're still in the early
stages, and soliciting involvement but hope to run events to encourage
wider knowledge, participation and collaboration between groups,
whilst engaging grass-roots geekery!

If you're not already on our mailing list then you can join the Geek Down at:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/geek-down

Oh, and if you run a geek oriented group, then feel free to cross post
events onto our mailing list!

--
Rick Moynihan
http://twitter.com/RickMoynihan