[dundee] ELF yourself encryption

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Tue Jun 23 05:10:25 UTC 2009

Hi Lee,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 03:26:00PM +0000, Lee Hughes wrote:
> I've been looking at linux raid 1 performance, i.e two driver, mirrored.

[...]

> I always thought that raid-1 gave a read performance increase?
> i.e it would read block in alternative drives?

Each thread of execution will use one disk though, so you will need
to run two things at once to see the performance increase with
RAID-1.

> And raid 10 (mirror+striping), takes 4 drives?

Classically yes, although with Linux software RAID you can do it
with any number of drives from 2 up.

> so, what does f2 do, do I get half the disk space?
>
> I can't work this out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10

See the part about the "far" layout.

Cheers,
Andy

<taras> i've had the same watch for 15 years now. MAN AND BOY
<taras> tbh Thomas the Tank Engine never dates