[dundee] server recommendation

Scott McGurk mcgurkorama at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 20:39:20 UTC 2009

I would say its worthwhile noting that Samba servers are nessecarily heavily
loaded - as far as CPU use go.

In the office, we run a mix of the following as fileservers;
2 x HP Proliant ML115 - 2TB total - running openfiler
2 x HP Proliant DL380G5 - 8TB Total - Running openfiler enterprise
1 x HP Proliant DL360S - 6TB Total - Win 2k3 Storage Server (not my
choice!!)

In general, you can pick up the ML115's for a fairly small amount of money,
and add SATA hdd's yourself, a 2TB system shoudnt cost more than £400 (this
is of course assuming you are ok with using software raid, and that 1 PSU
failure would take the server out of action)

If you arent comfortable with the PSU failing, youd need redundant PSU's,
which will push up the type of server you require.

If you need any more info, give me a shout.

Hope this helps!

Scott