[dundee] Text editor decision question

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:10:52 UTC 2009

Okay, this is an actual serious question, serious Kris is serious and all that.

Anyway for a while now I've been meaning to learn one of the big two
text editors; Vi/Vim or Emacs. I'm familiar enough with both to do
basic editing but want to become an expert in one of them.

I'm going to primarily use the chosen editor for general editing,
taking notes, modifying config files, Python/Bash/Perl programming and
some LaTeX stuff.

I've bought books and downloaded learning material for both

The problem is everytime I think I've made a decision I change my mind
or go back to neutral. I'm looking for help in making the decision. So
which editor do you use and why?, have you tried both etc? Does it
depend on your particular field of computing, do genuine programmers
lean towards one, while Sysadmin and networking people another?

Kris