[dundee] Understanding FLOSS

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 10:25:09 UTC 2009

2009/5/8 Donna Holford-Lovell <d.holford-lovell at abertay.ac.uk>

>  HI
>
> I have been thinking .... Which sometimes hurts.... You may know that I
> have been looking at the ideology/methodology of FLOSS and applying this to
> an art practice. I have had some excellent responses but I am still getting
> the impression that the art world are just not getting it.
>
> Obviously there are differing cultures and philosophies within the term
> FLOSS but both could offer a very new and productive way of working within
> the art sector. Some in the art sector say that it already exists in the
> practice and from the other camp that artists just don’t understand. ???? My
> question is ‘which one is it’?

  All I can say about this is noticing the increased use of open source
tools e.g. The Gimp & Blender etc by artists and that some of them
contribute to the development and improvement of these tools that benefit
other artists. You will probably be interested in PIKSEL, the festival for
free/libre & open source audiovisual software, hardware and art that is held
in Bergen, Norway. Here is the website with video archives of previous
years:

http://www.piksel.no/tag/flossart

Gordon