[dundee] Software Freedom Day Wiki (was Re: Software Freedom Day)

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:46:47 UTC 2009

2009/5/26 Arron Finnon <afinnon at googlemail.com>:

> Its come to that time of year that we need to start planning for this
> years Software Freedom Day event, that is being held on the 19th of
> September.  We had a very successful event last year, and everyone
> that took part enjoyed themselves very much.

Great idea Arron!  I've made a start by restructuring our wiki pages
on the software freedom day site, as I suggested at the meeting.  I'd
suggest every one involved tries to use this combination of the
mailing list and wiki to organise things.

Our revised software freedom day wiki is at:

http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee

A summary of the changes to the wiki include:

I have shuffled some URL's about to make things a little simpler, and
give us a bit more room for growth.

- The URL http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee redirects to our page
at teams/europe/uk/dundee.  This makes it easier for us to say "...
visit the site at softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee".

- I renamed the page from abertay-dundee to just dundee (and
redirected the old to the new)...  Hopefully I've not caused offence
in doing this, the aim was simply to make the URL easier.

- I have moved the old page to
http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee/2008 and set
http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee/2009 to redirect to our "front
page"  http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee .

Content changes/improvements:

- Made the front page include a draft summary of last years event,
with a link to the Dundee/2008 page.

- Made the front page include a preparation section, for us to fill in
ideas and things we'd like to do at this years 2009 event.

- Added markup to improve the formating of last years page.  I also
collapsed the structuring to remove categories where there was
previously just a single talk.  I also made some small tweaks to the
verbiage.

- Added a series of TODO's to pages with suggestions for us to plug
gaps in content/planning/etc...

- Miscellaneous other changes...

I'd appreciate it if others on this list could proof read the text
(it's a very VERY rough draft) register an account on the wiki and
make any changes necessary.

Also if you have any ideas, throw them up onto the wiki as and where
you see fit... We can reorganise things as we go.

One other suggestion, is to use the page:

http://softwarefreedomday.org/Dundee

as the definitive go-to resource for our software freedom event.  We
should publicise this link as much as we can, and pass it to
organisations who we want to solicit for help and those we wish to
invite ASAP.  We need to give everyone an idea of what we're trying to
achieve, and give them more advance notice than last year.

I'd suggest we try and plug a few obvious holes before we promote this
link though...  The main one being that we need to pad out last years
event with more info... specifically photo's, possibly slides, videos,
mp3's etc...  Filling out last years event will help give others a
good idea of what to expect this year.  Barry, and anyone else who
helped document this event can we copies of these resources for the
site please?

As Arron said, it's up to us to make this event even better than last
years!  Even making small fixes and improvements to the wiki will help
us immeasurably.

So people; if you have any ideas, or suggestions on either the event
or the planning process, please help by either posting to this mailing
list or making appropriate changes to the wiki (preferably both).

R.