[dundee] TuxRadar - The Great Boot Race

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon Nov 2 22:18:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:47:06 +0000, gordon dunlop wrote:

> TuxRadar videoed four different 64-bit systems to see which booted up
> fasted: Vista, Windows7, Ubuntu 9.04 & Ubuntu 9.10
>
> http://tuxradar.com/content/vista-windows-7-ubuntu-904-and-910-boot-speed-comparison
>
> Gordon

One question is: What is the definition of booted up?. For me, I'd say
say sitting at a terminal with idle cpu and disk.

No dirty tricks like loading X/desktop early and then doing a load of
stuff in the background. I'm not saying Ubuntu does this, but then
again they well might, if I remember reading correctly. I'm sure Windows
is not above this kind of kludge either.

Show me the bootchart!

Although I don't really know what the fuss is about boot times. I boot
my machines at most once a day (unless booting new kernels).

Perhaps more important for mobile/embeded devices, but you'd more
likely be using sleep/suspend there. I do hibernate my media box
(900MHz Athlon, running Fedora 10) and it gets back into X pretty quick.

Andrew