[dundee] Script Kiddie attack: in which our intrepid heroes nearly die of laughter

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:59:06 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 Antony D'Auria <antony at nekorb.co.uk>

> Used to be like that, quiet a few years ago IIRC [with Cable/Blueyonder,
> where I'm from in Essex anyway]. You could change it on their web self
> service page.

Reading from some cable forums it used to be like that. The requirement is
only one MAC address (any) on the server allowed. You can change your router
or PC network interface card (if no router) as often as you like as long as
only one MAC address is being used. Changes of any hardware and resultant
MAC addresses will produce a different IP address. So with a router you can
run as many machines as you want within the internal network as the Virgin
server only sees the MAC address of the router, there is no need for MAC
cloning or the like now.

Gordon