[dundee] Background image for console

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 21:05:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:13:25 +0100
Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I remember seeing a couple of liveCDs and stuff having background
> images for the framebuffer but I can't seem to find how to do it
> now...
> I have tried google and the only thing I can find is splash screens
> and some veeeery old articles, using 2.4.X kernels written in
> 2002/2003 which don't exactly help me :(
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas how it's done?
>
> Thanks
> Nistur

On Gentoo, it works using fbcondecor and fbsplash. I've used it for a
long time and it works very well. If I remember correctly, fbcondecor
is the kernel patch and fbsplash is the userspace package. It is a lot
cleaner than the kernel-heavy bootsplash implementations of the past.
It has been quite closely tied to Gentoo in the past but it seems to
have found its way onto other distros now. For Arch, you're in luck. :)

http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/fbcondecor
http://fbsplash.berlios.de
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fbsplash

James