[dundee] Digital freedom debate

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Thu Aug 5 22:48:00 UTC 2010

The interesting topic here isn't one of proprietary formats versus open ones
to be honest. A few years ago I worked as an architect on the Scotland's
People web site, talking the archivists there I was told that all archivist
know that if you want to be sure that information is kept for posterity then
you have to write it in stone, like the Egyptians did. If you can't do that,
then write in on paper and absolutely never, ever keep it in electronic
format. They were very keen to point out that we were only digitizing the
information for ease of searching issues and certainly not for archiving
purposes. It was a very interesting POV and one I've remembered since.

Cheers,

Gary