[dundee] top posting / bottom posting

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Tue Aug 24 13:09:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:40:18 +0100, Robert Ladyman wrote:

> For those used to bottom posting - for those of us using small-format
> devices, this means a hell of a lot of scrolling. I wonder if
> small-format devices now outweigh desktop-type screens and that
> top-posting should become the norm on the grounds that bottom-posting
> now forces your reader to work, rather than top-posting....

God no! This discussion has just come up on Fedora devel. And the
answer is that your broken mailer/device does not justify bad
etiquette

I can quite happily do bottom posting on my Nexus One with k9-mail.

If your device/mailer doesn't allow that, then you should wait until
your back at your proper mua/system.

The thing with bottom posting and the point you make about too much
scrolling, is that your supposed to snip away bits of the message that
aren't relevant to your reply to keep the thing looking sane.

And can people really not see that top posting really screws up the
ability to have threaded discussions!?

Andrew