[dundee] New Government Statistical Data Repository Web Site

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 10:41:52 UTC 2010

Ah...spreadsheets, the bane of an auditor's life: particularly as spreadsheet
programs tend to be active agents and will even modify data that is just being
'stored' (sic).

Warning: own trumpet blowing here....
http://www.file-away.co.uk/spreadsheets.html

Have a look at pages 23 and 24 for why they are bad. The error rate is
staggeringly high.

Ray Panko's work (http://panko.shidler.hawaii.edu/SSR/index.htm) is
particularly interesting, especially the paper "What we know about spreadsheet
errors" and his point that the high error rates in spreadsheets are consistent
with (human) error rates in other domains.

Interestingly, one of us was at an MHRA seminar for the last 2 days where
spreadsheets were discussed (and not favourably), especially as they tend not
to be listed as IT systems in SOPs, etc. (Hint, if you can't use it with your
PC if you pull the plug, then it's an IT system and needs to be listed).

I also note that none of the files at isdscotland have MD5 (or similar)
checksums to allow for detection of accidental changes by readers of the files
or active changes by their spreadsheet application.

RJL