[dundee] redhat cool tuning

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Thu Jul 15 19:18:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:15:48 +0100, azmodie wrote:

> On 15 July 2010 17:10, azmodie <azmodie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so when do think redhat will  buy novell.
> >
> > azmodie
> >

> systemd looks intresting.
>
> its designed to start all services in parrallel (does not use init)

And to start less! using socket activation (an idea from launchd on OS
X, oh well, I guess it's good for something!) for on demand daemon
starting.

> and actually starts taking syslog data before syslog starts.
> where as ubunu now uses upstart which waits for init to start syslog
> and something else before taking over and parrallel strting
> everything else.
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html
> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

I'm sure it's not lost on some people on this list, that Fedora
switched to upstart a few releases ago and now looks to be using
systemd in F14.

However systemd does look the better approach. It's also quite
interesting in that it make uses of various Linux kernel specific
features such as cgroups, IO priorities and CPU affinity.

> azmodie

Andrew