[dundee] GRUB2 problems with GAG Boot Manager

Nicholas Walker tel0seh at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 16 09:17:01 UTC 2010

Thanks Gordon. I was looking at gag a few weeks ago but it was surplus to my
requirements so I just stuck with grub2.

On 15 Jul 2010 23:04, "gordon dunlop" <zubenel at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

I use GAG boot Manager (open source) so that I can boot from a choice of 9
different operating systems on my workstation. Virtual machines are fine,
but if you want to look at systems working on bare metal hardware then you
create partitions whereby you can install different OS's with the booting
system placed on its own partition and using GAG to manage this.

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I recently had a problem where I wanted to look at Ultimate Linux Gamers
Edition, an Ubuntu 10.04 derivative, with the intention on putting it on one
of my son's machine as he is a gamer. The default bootloader of this OS is
GRUB2 and I was unable to boot into this partition as GRUB2 is at present
incompatible with GAG Boot Manager. I found that after looking through all
the Ubuntu forums and mix-mashing all the information that I could create
some sort of solution or workaround. I thought I should post this here ,if
anyone uses GAG Boot Manager, so you don't have buy proprietary boot
managers to rectify this problem.

Boot from the live cd/dvd of Ultimate Linux or whatever OS you have
installed GRUB2 and go into terminal mode and issue the following commands
(in this case Ubuntu)

$ sudo mount /dev/sdX  /mnt/boot  (where sdX is your partition e.g.
/dev/sda8 and you have a separate boot partition, which you need using GAG)
$ sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
$ sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
$ sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

We will do a chroot now

$ sudo chroot  /mnt

We remove GRUB2

$ sudo aptitude purge grub2 grub-pc

We now install GRUB 0.97 (legacy GRUB)

$ sudo aptitude install grub

Now at this point I found that the GRUB2 files in the /boot/grub directory
were still there so I did

$ sudo cd /boot /grub

and removed all the files and sub-directories with

$ sudo rm -R *.*

I then updated GRUB which installed the menu.lst and stage1/2 files

$ sudo update-grub
$ sudo grub-install /dev/sdX (where sdX is the partition where you Ultimate
Linux or another OS installed)

To exit chroot press CTRL-D

Unmount the virtual filesystems

$ sudo umount /mnt/boot
$ sudo umount /mnt/dev
$ sudo umount /mnt/proc
$ sudo umount /mnt/sys

Reboot

$ sudo reboot (or exit terminal and reboot from GUI)

When your computer restarts and goes into GAG boot manager delete the
Ultimate Linux  icon and re-install it with the pertinent partition and
you're there. I hope the maintainers of GAG put GRUB2 support into the GAG
system as it is the best open source Boot Manager there is.

p.s. As a greybeard, if any young dudes spot any typos or incorrect
instructions or other ways to improve this procedure feel free to post
because this will be the benefit to users.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on irc.lug.org.uk