[dundee] HM Treasury Spending Challenge

Arron M Finnon finux at finux.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 10:36:47 UTC 2010

When i was at a talk recently one of the talks that i listened to was a third-party
security vendor that was in the process of delivering some solutions to the government
which required a number of government department's to work together.  I can't go into
many details, however needless to say they where departments that you would have presumed
worked closely together prior to that.

There where a number of government sub contractors and they all seemed to echo the
same point.  That due to all the internal regulation it was hard for the customer (government),
to tell them what they wanted.  In many places it was actually the customer being told what they
needed to stay internally compliant.  I would imagine for a number of reasons some of the following
issues that arise;

Software is not on the departments OK list, so cannot be part of any solution until it is;
Companies looking at a more profitable solution with regards to reseller and licensing;
Technical expertise light on the ground due to previous vendor locking deals;

It seems strange to walk in to a garage forecourt, and tell the guy;
"hey look i don't like using my legs, could you supply me a solution"

My two pence worth, and as usual your being over charged