[dundee] Open source debate

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 15:31:29 UTC 2010

Were I ever interviewing for the networking/support/sysadmin side of
things it's a little more difficult to judge. interview assessments
(ideally practicals) and questions help a little, so does being a
volunteer admin for a FLOSS project or service. I'd probably even
consider experience with setting up your own testbed or running a VPS.

It's hard to judge though as all of these are different than a
production environment. I sometimes wish sysadmins could have some
sort of portfolio like other IT specialities. I'd probably use a mix
of the above then hire on an initial 3 to 6 month contract if I could.