[dundee] The most popular Linux foe web servers is CentOS

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 27 21:48:53 UTC 2010

This is an article by Steven J. Vaughan-Williams on how CentOS is the most
popular Linux for web servers (It's basically a free Red Hat Enterprise
Linux). One thing I did not like what he said in this article is to imply
that only people that need hand-holding uses Red Hat. This is total
balderdash as large enterprise systems use Red Hat subscriptions for mission
critical applications where patches are delivered within a day and are
certified guaranteed. I am a CentOS user, on my own server and this also
what the TayLUG web site runs on (I would never pay for Red Hat as I don't
run mission critical stuff). The patches are not certified (never had any
problem here) and it takes about 5-7 days for them to appear (no problem
again as a proprietary software company only issues patches once a month for
their systems) I think CentOS is really great but I do wish authors would
clarify the difference between free and supported server systems and why
they are used, this would also apply to Ubuntu Server Edition where it is
free and also has paid support services and has nothing really to do with
expertise of administrators.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16596/the_most_popular_web_server_linux_is