[dundee] Ofcom GPL issues

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 10:47:27 UTC 2010

I'm cross-posting this as it involves a study with software that uses GPL
software: there is a claim in the report that there is

"nothing in [the GPL] that stops the software from being:

* Given away, for free, without the source code (Freeware)
* Given away, for free, with the source code (Opensource)

It would, however, be contrary to the licence to sell the software without the
source code."

To me, this is a misreading of the licence  - paragraph 5 in the preamble of
the licence even gives an example: "For example, if you distribute copies of
such a program, whether gratis or for a fee....", etc.

The section is in the first part of the report.

Am I correct?

Fwd: Ofcom update: Ofcom publishes speech recognition technology study
> Ofcom has today published an initial study looking at the effectiveness of
>  speech recognition technology used in VoIP communications and how it might
>  improve accessibility to telecommunications services for hearing impaired
>  consumers.
>
> The VoIP text study can be found here:
>  http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/policy-related-resea
> rch/usability-research/research/speech-to-text-voip/

> Please do not respond to this email. To remove yourself from this update
>  list, use the online forms:
>  http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/subscribe/select_list.htm.

> *************************************** For more information visit
>  www.ofcom.org.uk
>
> This email (and any attachments) is confidential and intended for the use
>  of the addressee only.
>
> If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of
>  the message and delete it from your system.
>
> This email has been scanned for viruses. However, you open any attachments
>  at your own risk.
>
> Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
>  do not represent the views or opinions of Ofcom unless expressly stated
>  otherwise.

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited
3 Ralston Business Centre, Newtyle, Blairgowrie
Perthshire  PH12 8TL SCOTLAND
Tel: +44 (0) 1828 898 158
Mobile: +44 (0) 7732 771 649
http://www.file-away.co.uk