[dundee] Chip and Pin payments - Consumer Rights when there's an error...

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Jun 9 15:01:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 01:21:00PM +0100, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> This potential design did occur to me at the time... and if it were
> designed this way, would support the managers belief in the systems
> design...  i.e. under such a system I can see that Tesco would either
> be short OR the intermediate system can retry a transaction, without
> presence of a PIN authorisation!  This contradicted my prior
> understanding of chip and pin, i.e. that the PIN acceptance part of
> the transaction (at a wire level)...  Introducing an intermediary and
> the ability to retry would seem to be more than a little scary.

It is definitely possible for the actual transaction to happen after
the card is gone. The pay at pump things in petrol stations (at least
the ones I've used) do the chip and pin stuff first and tell you it's
authorised for some maximum value and to take your card out before you
actually fill up and they find out how much you should be charged, so
the actual collecting money part must happen after the card is gone.

       Robert