[dundee] Open Wi-Fi 'outlawed' in Digital Economy Bill

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 01:23:04 UTC 2010

On 1 March 2010 13:40, Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2010, at 12:58, Arron M Finnon wrote:
>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,40057470,00.htm
>>
>> The government will not exempt universities, libraries and small
>> businesses providing open Wi-Fi services from its Digital Economy Bill
>> copyright crackdown, according to official advice released earlier this
>> week.
>
>  Is it too hard for a business to ask for a valid email address before allowing access? The library requires my library card before I can use one of their pc's, why not for wifi access?
>
> As far as I can see, this bill, whether right or wrong, is going to sort out a lot of crap network security.

Sorry, but this bill (like the majority of legislation in this area)
is completely destructive to the fabric and culture of the internet.
And I find it offensive that the government feel they have a right to
mediate free access to the internet like this.

Seriously, if I so choose why can't I decide to run an unencrypted
open wifi hotspot?!?!!  Should giving people free access to the
internet really be illegal?  Laws like these prohibit future
innovation (the internet is not just the web) and set future
legislative precedents.  Besides, whatever happened to people being
kind, and helping their neighbours?

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110

Equating "crap network security" with open hotspots is a sweeping
generalisation, and I find it hard to believe that legislation is
going to improve the security of the average household.

Networking is not a crime any more than building roads is, and we all
know bank robbers use Roads for their get-aways!  The world needs more
free, open registration-less WiFi, not less.

R.