[dundee] Open Wi-Fi 'outlawed' in Digital Economy Bill

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 08:46:06 UTC 2010

The major fault with this legislation is the belief that there is "An
Internet" (sic) - internet is short for interconnected networks: there is no
'internet' to connect to; it isn't 'out there' as a real, separate thing any
more than the sky is blue.
This belief in a 'something' that exists without its components leads to
cloudy thinking: once you realise this, you can see that this legislation is,
in effect, a tax on particular types of network equipment and an attempt to
impose a technical constraint upon how you run YOUR network. Managing end-
points of, and access to, your own network is your concern. Managing the
interconnection to other networks is surely your own concern as well: those
networks are run by other administrators, not by government (unless they are
government networks).
Managing a connection to "The Internet" goes in the same in-tray as an email
address for the Tooth Fairy.

> Well, you're assuming it has to be a "network", rather than a simple a
> pipe to the Internet.  And there are many reasons these are desirable,
> community wifi projects being one of them.  The legislation here
> essentially says "only big companies can become ISP's"...  Legislation
> like this is driving smaller players out of the market... Making the
> whole industry less competitive.  Would Robert Ladyman have ever set
> himself up as a rural ISP if more legislation like this were in
> place?!?!  Maybe, maybe not... I'm hoping he can answer this point.

There are no 'simple pipes' to the interconnected networks - to interconnect
you have to be a network, even if only of one device.

When we set up, there was other legislation in place - we had to submit
business and technical plans, and so on: the technical plans were explicit in
that we allowed anonymous access to local services (an Intranet) but paid-for,
controlled access outwith that. Had we had to pay for each access point on our
network we would not have started - after all, we would not have a tax on any
other switch, hub or router.