[dundee] Red Hat funds cloud R&D centre at Newcastle University - 05/03/2010 - Computer Weekly

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 6 20:58:53 UTC 2010

On 6 March 2010 14:53, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/03/05/240516/Red-Hat-funds-cloud-
> RampD-centre-at-Newcastle-University.htm<http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/03/05/240516/Red-Hat-funds-cloud-%0ARampD-centre-at-Newcastle-University.htm>

This is great news for the United Kingdom, here is the Newcastle blurb:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/global-computing-giant-joins-forces-with-newcastle-university

It all boils down to Linux clusters + Virtualisation + JBoss + computer
security. With the the Teaching Open Source (TOS) & Professors Open Source
Summer Experience (POSSE) really taking off around the world (Red Hat
Initiated), especially in North America with long established Universities,
we should see more collaboration between FOSS  projects and Universities.
TOS is putting on talks at OSCON 2010, this is being organised by Mel Chua
who is the educational spokesperson for Red Hat. Mel will be giving a talk
which will be praiseworthy because she has a hearing impediment (deafness),
Mel is also highly intelligent and a hard worker showing how people can
overcome disability. Here is a video of Mel from her blog taking delivery of
laptops for her local school.

http://blog.melchua.com/2010/02/10/netbooks-have-arrived/

Gordon