[dundee] One Granny Security Advice

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:34:41 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good security site/resource for my mother.  As today
I told her to stop forwarding chain mails (specifically chain mails
with attachments), as they're a common vector for security exploits...
and now she's asking for more information...

I don't want to unnecessarily scare her, but she needs to understand
how to be more cautious than she is.

Essentially I need a good resource that can highlight the common
pitfalls in language she can understand.  I don't expect her to spend
more than 5 minutes reading something on this subject, though she
might watch a 10 minute video.

I'm most concerned she learns about:

- the dangers of chain emails
- when not to trust content/links in emails "from friends"
- opening malware from email attachments
- opening links
- forwarding chain mails that contain malware

Other advice welcome too... but it has to be dumbed down and
engaging...  Any links you can share would be appreciated.

R.