[dundee] No More Playstation 3 Linux

Hazel McKendrick dreamisdead0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:51:52 UTC 2010

I remember at least one person here had Linux installed on a PS3, and this
seemed pretty rage-worthy news:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/

The next Playstation 3 firmware update will prevent owners installing
alternate operating systems, or accessing alternative OSs they've already
installed.
If you choose not to update, you'll lose access to Playstation Network
(including games you've bought through this and online features of games
you've paid for) as well as the ability to play newer games which require
updated firmware.

I'd be more than a little upset if I owned a PS3, particularly since Sony
committed to continue support for the "feature" less than a year ago:
 http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2010-February/007202.html

- Hazel.