[dundee] No More Playstation 3 Linux

Hazel McKendrick dreamisdead0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 19:39:01 UTC 2010

On 29 March 2010 19:38, azmodie <azmodie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 March 2010 18:51, Hazel McKendrick <dreamisdead0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I remember at least one person here had Linux installed on a PS3, and this
>> seemed pretty rage-worthy news:
>> http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/
>>
>> The next Playstation 3 firmware update will prevent owners installing
>> alternate operating systems, or accessing alternative OSs they've already
>> installed.
>> If you choose not to update, you'll lose access to Playstation Network
>> (including games you've bought through this and online features of games
>> you've paid for) as well as the ability to play newer games which require
>> updated firmware.
>>
>> I'd be more than a little upset if I owned a PS3, particularly since Sony
>> committed to continue support for the "feature" less than a year ago:
>>  http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2010-February/007202.html
>>
>> -- Hazel
>

> I have linux installed on my ps3.
>
> This rumor has been floating about for a while.  According to Geoffrey
> Levand, PS3-Linux maintainer at Sony, those rumors are untrue.
>

> http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/sony-phat-ps3s-will-not-lose-other-os-feature.html
>

> although that seems to be a new post. its also worth noting the date of the
> release is april the 1st.   we will just have to wait and see.
>
> azmodie

I saw that he denied the rumour about losing multi OS support previously and
thought this was another rumour or April fools joke at first too, but then
the details on the official blog seem to suggest otherwise.
If it is just a joke it seems a fairly odd move from Sony, but I suppose we
can hope for that.

-- Hazel