[dundee] SFD update

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Thu Sep 16 11:53:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:32 +0100, "Andrew Clayton"
<andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote:
> So, AIUI, SFD is about promoting Free Software using RMS's definition.
> How does promoting something like Skype fit into that?
>
> I really don;t think that showcasing proprietary software at a Free
> Software event gives the right message. It's only going to confuse
> people.
>
> If a video chat demo can't be done with open source software then it's
> best not to do one at all. If the network your using is problematic,
> route around it. two machines connected together with crossover UTP for
> instance.

Can I clear up what is being planned: is it a talk on skype or someone
who can't be there giving a talk via skype? If it's the latter then I
don't see the problem. We won't get anywhere promoting Free software
with edicts that "Thou shalt not use proprietary software." (though RMS
certainly tries).

The point of the day is to move people to using more Free software but
there are instances where a bit of proprietary software is the best tool
for the job (and sometimes the only tool). If Skype is the only thing
that can get a connection out through the network we'll be using (and
that's something skype is very good at) then the choice is use skype to
get the presentation or not have that presentation.

Unless the plan was to have a talk on Skype in which case ignore
everything after my first question...

Robert
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The opinions expressed herin are not necessarily those of my
employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.