[dundee] Software developer job openings in Dundee
siwells at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 14:25:15 UTC 2011
This is an exciting opportunity for two software developers to join me working on a joint project between the Health Informatics Centre at Ninewells Hospital and the Open Microscopy Environment at the College of Life Sciences, Dundee University. The closing date for applications is 27 April 2011.
Full details are available on the University of Dundee Human Resources system:
(NB. This link is only valid until the closing date)
Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties
The Health Informatics Centre at Ninewells Hospital (HIC) and the Open Microscopy Environment Consortium (OME) are seeking two Software Developers for our development efforts to create an international centre for Biomedical Informatics. The ideal applicants will possess great communication and development skills and will join an existing team be capable of driving a successful development effort.
The team, based at the Wellcome Trust Biocentre and Ninewells Hospital, University of Dundee, in the laboratories of Prof Jason Swedlow and Prof Andrew Morris is involved in a collaborative, open source development effort that will deliver informatics tools for managing clinical and genetic data for clinical research projects, initially focused on large longitudinal datasets that track the development and progression of type 2 diabetes.
The project leverages existing developers from the OME project (for more information, see http://openmicroscopy.org) and will deliver a secure, adaptable framework for data access and analysis. Successful applicants will interact very closely with clinical researchers and software developers based in Scotland, Germany, Italy, and the USA.
• Mapping and importing existing clinical data into OME’s OMERO data model
• Continue development of an existing Java server-based Application.
• Extend existing Hibernate object-relational mappings.
• Adapt data analysis tools built by leading clinical research groups to the OMERO API.
• Experience with database-driven application design and data modelling.
• Experience with a major RDBMS.
• Excellent skills in Java and SQL
• Excellent object-oriented and aspect-oriented programming skills.
• Experience with Java server development.
• Experience with Linux, Mac OS X or any proprietary Unix flavour
• Strong collaborative skills with an eye towards efficiency and creativity.
• Experience developing and deploying Java client-server applications in Linux and/or Windows
• Experience with a procedural SQL language (PL/SQL, Transact-SQL, PL/pgSQL, SQL PL).
• Experience with Oracle or PostgreSQL.
• Experience with ZeroC’s ICE.
• Experience with any NoSQL facility.
• Experience in an open source development project.
• C, C++ and/or Python programming experience.
These are full-time positions, in the UK (Dundee, Scotland), appointment is to commence during or after Jan 2011, for a period of one year. Salary range is based on Grade 8 (£36,862 - £44,016) but is dependent upon experience.
Dr. Simon Wells
E-mail: siwells at gmail.com
IM: sw3lls at yahoo.co.uk
Mail: University of Dundee,
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression,
Dow Street, Dundee, DD1 5EH, United Kingdom.
Phone: +44 (0)
Fax: +44 (0) (FAO: Simon Wells)
------BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
------END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
More information about the dundee