[dundee] Tomorrow's Talk - Rorie Hood - Network Neutrality

Arron 'Finux' Finnon finux at finux.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 10:20:17 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

Rorie sent me his abstract for his talk yesterday, but i totally forgot
to send it last night my apologise.

The meeting will be held in the HMC at the top of the student Union
building.

The meeting starts at 7pm (#), but i'm sure if you turn up at 6.30
they'll be geeks about for a quick pre-talk drink in the bar below.

Abstract

Network Neutrality

Internet neutrality is a concept that has been cast around the media for
roughly five years, though in truth the debate has gone on since the
beginning of the 21^st century. The concept of net neutrality is that
traffic on the Internet should never been prioritized for or against,
between people paying for the same Internet provider package. There have
been several incidents where service providers have purposely slowed P2P
traffic. In other cases service providers have been using a technique
known as deep-packet inspection to discriminate against demanding
traffic such as P2P, FTP and on-line games.

Should network neutrality be legally enforced? Large corporations who
are against network neutrality argue that an enforcement would reduce
innovation on the Internet, and offer them no incentive to improve there
network. If the government were to enforce network neutrality, could
they do it fairly or effectively? Will they take a stand for peoples
liberty or back a Corporate monopoly? Neutrality on the Internet been
debated for years, and is still a hot topic.

End of Abstract

I'm not going to be able to make this meeting but Nick Walker will be
looking after the show for the day.  I hope everyone has a good time and
i'll speak to you all soon

--
Arron "finux" Finnon

Finux.co.uk - Twitter.com/f1nux - facebook.com/finux

PGP: http://finux.co.uk/finux.asc