[dundee] CMS for documentation?

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 8 10:15:44 UTC 2011

On 5 July 2011 16:49, Christopher Wyllie <cgwyllie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can suggest a tool to manage user documentation
> online in a nice coherent fashion? I've looked at a lot of wikis and they
> are functionally very good but (usually) visually appalling. Ideally I'm
> looking for something that can provide the following:
>
>    - Easy to integrate Images and possibly video content
>    - Source code highlighting for code snippets
>    - Hierarchical chapters/categories
>    - Searchable by keyword
>    - Tables of contents generated for each page based on headings/sub
>    headings
>    - Easy to change the theme/default look
>    - Multiple output formats (HTML, PDF)
>
> I've tried setting up dokuwiki but found its themes to be quite messy and
> broken from version to version.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> Mediawiki with its comprehensive extensions covers the above. The is the
standard toolchain for Fedora/Red Hat covering online documentation and also
for production of F.O.S.S. books :

Mediawiki  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
+
python-mwlib http://code.pediapress.com/wiki/wiki/mwlib
+
DocBook XML http://www.docbook.org/whatis
+
Publican
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/blog/fedora-documentation-project-introduces-publican

All of the above packages can be found in Fedora, Ubuntu & Debian
repositories. It might be a bit over the top for your requirements but it
works well.

Gordon