[dundee] Software Freedom Day 2011(update) - CALL FOR TALKS & DEMOS

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Jul 13 19:09:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:01 +0100, "Ryan Ward" <ry.ward91 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> *So is there any talks or suggestions people would like to offer (this
> includes demos) ???*

I can bring a couple of arduinos and a few other bits and pieces of
electronics. I'll even see if I can get organised enough to have them
doing something before I get there this year.

A while back I agreed to sort out recording (and possibly streaming) the
talks. I've been figuring out a plan for that (
http://bodaegl.ormiret.com/foo/recording.JPG is my current plan). If I
can find all the cables and converter boxes I should have around here
somewhere then I've got everything needed for the video side. What I
don't have is kit for decent sound capture. I've got a couple of mics
for feeding through the cameras but when they're not right up in the
speakers face they don't produce all that great a capture (should be
good enough to make out what's being said but I'm sure we can do
better). For this type of event my favoured approach would be a lapel
mic with radio sender for the presenter (will there be more than one
presenter at any point?) and a couple of shotgun or omnidirectional mics
for the audience plus a mixer to, unsurprisingly, mix them together.
Anyone have any of that? Or know where we could borrow/steal it from?

As for streaming: how/if we do it depends mostly on the internet
connection available. I expect it would be pretty easy to get a stream
out to feed a distribution server elsewhere. The easy option for that
would be to use UStream or Justin.tv or similar -  but I think they need
you to use flash (or their own clients) to watch so not really in the
spirit of SFD. On the free software side there's icecast, but that needs
a server somewhere with oodles of bandwidth (if anyone actually watches
it).

Robert
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

The opinions expressed herin are not necessarily those of my
employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.