[dundee] some more android resources

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sun Mar 6 11:23:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 08:43:31 +0000, Robert Ladyman wrote:

> It's really rather shocking that Android hasn't got good security
> built-in: if a (say) Redmond-based company had released something
> this shoddy, we'd be accusing them of rushing to market. Google -
> J'accuse

I think that's being a bit over dramatic.

It's as good as your average Linux distribution.

From a quick look on my phone.

- It doesn't run everything as root (unlike some).

- Each app runs under a different user.

- It mounts the rootfs ro

- Makes use of filesystem/block level encryption

The only surprising thing is that it mounts debugfs (rw)

So in short, the sky is not falling. Like most things, you do want to
be careful what you install on your phone. I'll only install open
source stuff (other that what's already installed and Google Sky Map)

If I like the look of some dodgy app, install it and then find it's
sending a bunch of my information to the mother ship. Then I need only
look in the mirror for someone to blame.

Andrew