[dundee] NoScript users are violating the DCMA

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:20:13 UTC 2011

On 24 March 2011 15:03, Axel <newsletter at axelbor.de> wrote:
> Awesome.
>
> The NYT has implemented a "paywall" to ensure that the user have to pay for
> the content.
>
> Outsourcing is best practise in business, and so they let run the "paywall"
> in the browser and not on there own server. This awesome guys have
> implemented their user authentication system in JavaScript. To bypass the
> paywall, just use NoScript or deactivate JavaScript.
>
> The best experts ever :-)

One might argue their solution is really quite elegant...  Sure it
offers no real security, but the perception of security is probably
good enough here...  As most people who want to view the content, will
pay... rather than search for hacks etc...   So realistically how much
money are they actually losing by people bypassing their security?
Would these users have paid had it really been secure, probably not!

Anyway, the reason it might be a good solution for them, is that it
means google etc can index their articles easily...  Non-geeks will
pay for convenience... and I and the others who wouldn't pay anyway,
can read the NYT for free, with a small amount of inconvenience...  If
we weren't going to pay, then it might still be beneficial for NYT to
have us on their site, as we still might view some adverts etc...

R.