[dundee] OpenSuSE 11.4 Minimal Text install problem

Robert Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Tue May 10 13:21:50 UTC 2011

This might help those (any) of you installing OpenSuSE 11.4 in minimal mode
(i.e. for a server), you will probably receive a "an error occurred during
initrd creation" message (probably with code -3034) towards the end of the
software installation phase.

This seems to be because of a mkinitrd call with an invalid parameter ("-s"),
an option provided with the bootsplash stuff (which is NOT required on a
server).
Luckily, this was only reported as a problem during development and was marked
as RESOLVED....only it isn't.

I've been fighting it in an install all day and have just given up and
installed a minimal 'X' which I can at least later remove. It does worry me
though: for this sort of thing to be present right up to RC1 and beyond rather
implies that nobody bothers to test a 'server-type' install for OpenSuSE.

Probably time to change distros.

--
Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited