[dundee] Hardware for a firewall/content filter

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu May 12 09:11:33 UTC 2011

Andrew Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:48:44 +0100, Colin Brough wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of NAS boxes (a Buffalo and a Synology) which can be
>> made to run Linux, but neither of them have 2 LAN ports.
>
> Just a heads up. But you might not actually _need_ 2 interfaces.
> Certainly iptables nat works fine with just the one.

I want to put the content filter physically between the wireless
router and the WAN, so that all boxes that use the network have to go
through the filter, without individual, per-machine configuration.
Proxying port 80, etc.

I've put up a diagram of what I was thinking of, and what I interpret
your suggestion as meaning - though I'm not sure if I quite get it...?

	http://www.colinbrough.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ContentFilter.pdf

My "plan" is on the left - filter box sitting between the local
network and the internet, filtering all traffic, with a an upstream
and a downstream LAN port.

How would you wire a single interface box into the network I'm
thinking of?

--

Cheers

Colin

Rev Colin Brough
Minister
Fintry Parish Church of Scotland, Dundee
Scottish Charity Number: SC020742

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk