[dundee] Hardware for a firewall/content filter

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 25 20:43:30 UTC 2011

On 9 May 2011 13:48, Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Folks
>
> Just looking for pointers for some cheap hardware on which to run a
> firewall and content filter - and possibly a low-traffic mail server.
>
> Requirements:
>
>  - 2 LAN sockets
>
>  - able to run (or already installed with) a Linux distro - perhaps
>   ipcop, or perhaps a general distro... Probably dansguardian for
>   content filtering.
>
>  - quiet, low power, low cost! (24/7 in my study)
>
>  - the mail-server wish thing is to run something like mailman for a
>   couple of low-traffic, sub-100 subsriber mailing lists I manage.
>
> Am aware of mini-itx.com; they have stuff that would do the job, but
> not sure whether £150-£200 is really the price range I need to be
> thinking of... Want cheaper!!
>
> This might interest you Colin, Ebuyer is selling the HP ProLiant
Microserver for £237 with free delivery. With HP giving a £100 cash back
offer until the end the end of May making it £137, which is a bit of a
steal. The form for the cash back offer is on the item's web page and as
long as it is sent in before the end of June they will send the money to
you. It has only 1 Lan interface but has PCI slots so a network card can be
fitted to give 2 Lan interfaces and the power supply is only 200W. Whilst
1GB supplied memory is EEC, non-EEC memory works with the EEC module or
solely on non-EEC e.g. 4GB DDR3 1066 Kingston non-EEC, memory quick find no.
229102 (see reviews page). It has 4 internal bays and is certified for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux so any major Linux distribution should work on it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253305

Gordon