[dundee] New to the list

Chairman The Software Society chairman at thesoftwaresociety.org.uk
Tue Apr 3 19:35:15 UTC 2012

Hi Roger,

Firstly welcome to Dundee, We meet fortnightly at the Burgh Coffee
house, Castle Street at 6.30pm. Our next talk (5th April 2012) is on
Performance and Energy Efficiency in WLANs and will be presented by
Markus Tauber. I've included the abstract below.

Abstract.

I will present results of an experimental evaluation of energy
usage/efficiency and performance in a wireless LAN cell. We have
taken an application-level approach, by varying the packet size
and transmission rate at the application level and evaluating energy
usage across a range of application transmission rates using both
large and small packet sizes. We have observed that both the
application?s transmission rate and the packet size have an impact
on energy efficiency for transmission in our testbed. We also
included in our experiments evaluation of the energy efficiency
of emulations of YouTube and Skype flows, and a comparison
with Ethernet transmissions. I will also talk about how this findings
can be used to make future applications more energy efficient.

I look forward to meeting you.

Warm Regards,

--
Ryan Ward