[dundee] Recommendations for Hosting and VPS companies?

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:06:05 UTC 2012

On 22 August 2012 12:37, simon Wells <siwells at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone have experience with & can recommend a good, ideally UK based, web hosting company for a small number of low traffic, small-size personal sites? Similarly, I am also looking for a good Linux VPS provider, I was considering Linode but wondered if anyone had experience of and could recommend any other similar providers?

Neither a VPS nor a "cloud provider" but a damn cheap, reliable and
awesome hosting company are Hetzner...  Being a German company they
don't meet your UK requirement either... but offer servers at
incredible value... in comparison other providers seem incredibly
expensive:

http://hetzner.de/

They're not virtual, so you're actually renting the real metal, and
for ~19euros a month it's a damn good value... especially considering
the kit you get for your money....  If you want to virtualise you can
yourself and for cheaper than most VPSs.

The servers aren't managed, so if the hardware dies, you need to tell
them to fix it etc... but experience of this happening took less than
10 minutes to resolve (where after a fan died they located the server
and installed a new fan within 5 minutes of us phoning).

They're well worth looking at....  the first time provisioning takes a
few days with various checks etc... but after they have a billing
relationship with you they will provision servers instantly through
their admin panel....  If you script your deployments and tool up you
can deploy pretty much as quick as you can anywhere else.

R.