[dundee] Meeting 9th February

Ryan Ward ry.ward91 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:30:57 UTC 2012

Apologies, for not posting to the mailing list, I got caught up with uni.

One of the first talks in our Flash Talk Night line up will be Arron
'Finux' Finnon with
The "Butthead" Evasion Technique - The dangers of character matching in
security rules. This flash talk looks at the intrusion detection system
SNORT and some of it's security signatures. The talk is light hearted in
nature, however the under lying message is that careful consideration
should be given when authoring rules. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is
the most dangerous.

The second flash talk will be by our very own Gavin 'Jac0byterebel' Ewan
with What Social Engineers know about our broken brain. This flash talk
will take a whistlestop tour of some of the many stupid little errors that
our brains make constantly.  You will learn that your brain is not a
super-computer, it is a quivering, useless blob that serves up the same old
mistakes time and time again.

I will be presenting a flash talk on an introduction to password hashing
and the common misuse of terminology around it.

On 9 February 2012 11:42, Robert Ladyman <it at file-away.co.uk> wrote:

> As the relevant officer doesn't seem inclined to post to the list, I shall
> do
> so:-
>
> Tonight's talks are:-
>
> Arron - Butthead Evasion Technique
> Ryan - Password Hashes
> Gavin - Social Engineering
>
> These are flash-talks of less than 10 minutes or so.
>
> The meeting starts at 18:30 (ish) in the Burgh Coffee House, Dundee.
>

> --
> Robert Ladyman
> The Software Society Limited

Ryan Ward