[dundee] World IPv6 Launch

Simon Iremonger (lugs) enyc-lugs at sheer.us
Sat Jan 28 12:15:46 UTC 2012

>> If only it were that easy. 15 companies saying they are enabling IPv6 on
>> that date will not make all the hardware on the internet compatible with

Seemingly, Core equipment tends to work with wirespeed IPv6 these days,
  I believe.  I will discuss it further with my supervisor for
  networking part of my course.

>> BT for example will not have IPv6 enabled fully for some time yet and
>> they are the biggest UK ISP. What you may find is that a lot of
>> companies will try to overcome this using tunnelling instead.

Well...
If your ISP uses its' own L2TP router, it doesn't matter.  They
  buy PPP from BT and PPPoA (or PPPoE) can carry IPv4 and IPv6.

It depends on your end router and what your ISP do.

>> own equipment how many of their customers even have routers
>> or devices on their network that support IPv6.
Mainstream OSes and applications have supported IPv6 for quite
  some time now.
Consumer IPv6 routers can now be found, etc =).

I'm regularly connecting over the IPv6 internet backbone...  It
  exists at my college and faculty, communicate with machine at
  home, can talk to google/youtube, server in the US, etc..

> Yes, indeed. I suspect we might end up with IPV6 for the 'backhaul'
> while all using IPV4 behind NAT.
It doesn't really work like that....

I think its' possible, in a limited way, to do a 'pretend A record'
  returning 'made-up' A-records from a limited-size-pool, which
  then work for outgoing 4-to-6-NAT connections, and only for
  programs that use the usual DNS to lookup addresses.
I'm not sure I've heard of any working implementations working
  that way round.  Remember this is limited to outgoing
  TCP/UDP (or limited, handled protocols), only for clients
  that use the DNS for lookups, etc...

Its' possible to do 6to4 nat the other way round, its' already
  available:-
http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6-nat64.html
http://www.uknof.org.uk/uknof16/Kennard-IP64mapping.pdf

I do see much more ISP-supplied routers, managed over TR-069,
  etc...  I guess that sort of route is where more deployments
  will happen.
Its' note that home routers are necessarily becoming more
  complicated, and this creates a mess with lots of different
  implementations and little consistency, standards, etc....
It makes for a mess when some change like IPv6 needs
  'coherent ways to autoconfigure and subdelegate IPv6'
  etc....  Let alone there being many different ways to
  deal with support-for-accessing-legace-internet-servers.

--Simon