[dundee] Straw poll on editors / Word-processors

Rob Carr rob at carr.me
Thu Sep 19 13:45:55 UTC 2013

If generating content I use markup for text copy (eg, Editorially, iaWriter); if I'm doing something that requires layout I'll use DTP software (InDesign etc). In most recent web apps I've worked on, any free text areas tend to have only bold, italic, underline and bullet points. Media/Images are treated as separate entities.

However, most normal users expect to have toolbar that looks like MS Word, so that much of the semantic value of the text is then buried away in embedded styles.

The deciding factor on how much WYSIWYG you need is: are you generating a near-finished document online, or are you building structured content [and worry about presentation later]?

Rob