[dundee] Graphics cards, Firefox and Thunderbird.

Owen Bowers Adams owen at obowersa.net
Thu Mar 20 01:37:27 UTC 2014

> > It's important that people understand the issues with binary drivers,
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob and making a
> judgement/statement
> > on who you'd rather give your money to.

This is quite likely a misunderstanding on my part, but are AMD/ATI any
better in this regard ? You've got the
Catalyst driver, which is a binary blob. Then you've got the radeon
driver..which loads propietary microcode in the
form of smaller binary blobs.

On the Nvidia front you' have the official driver which is a giant binary
blob, or you've got nouveau. Which while it's
not an Nvidia project, doesn't load in any proprietary code and has had
Nvidia contributions.

Neither companies exactly a bastion of FOSS. Both have their drawbacks. I'm
really not trying to champion Nvidia.
On a personal level I think it genuinely depends on the use case and AMD
has an extremely strong offering. I just
dislike the blanket statement that AMD are better because of their sort of
open but not really approach.

To reiterate though, I can't guarantee my knowledge on the situation is up
to date and would genuinely welcome any
corrections to the above.